Are you working against the clock? Didn’t get the chance to work out to day? If you have a job with vigorous activity, like giving fitness classes, construction work, carpenter work or such like you, needn’t worry all that much. You most likely met the bare minimum of recommendations for daily, perhaps, weekly physical activity.
At my place of work I am blessed with PT-clients who all want the best for them selves and there is not a doubt in my mind that PT-clients in other training facilities do to. I have very few clients that I have to push to get them to train, it is often more about holding them a little back, but people are different and that’s okay. The thing is this: In a previous work place I grew tired of teaching and preaching the obvious, yet here I am doing it again. I realized that since I firmly believe that health is a prerequisite for performance, which I am (almost) all about, I can and must never stop preaching that physical activity is imperative, essential or super-important, if you will. Physical activity is VITAL!
If something is vital, that means that is is absolutely necessary to sustain and continue life. If you do not do the bare minimum to meet the recommendations for daily/weekly physical activity your health and shape will no gradually decline. I can guarantee you this! You might not notice this year or for the next year, but look back ten years and without habitual exercise of some form you have most likely gained weight, lost strength, will easily get out of breath and may also have more serious health issues. How is your energy levels now compared to then? Lower? Why?
Shaming someone into doing something rarely holds up, so this is not an attempt at that. This is an attempt to make you understand how little it takes to prevent over 30 different diseases and illnesses, increase quality of life, let you enjoy it all the more for longer and let you be of service to your family and friends for a long, good life. Hallelujah, amen and thank you! Everybody needs to know this, and act on it.
Doing the bare minimum does not give you a sixpack or make you run amazing 10K times, that takes a lot more work and the right motivation, but it does do amazing things for the mind and the body!
My good colleague and physiotherapist Arne Olav Wagenius sendt me this little film the other day, writing “This is kind of cool”. And it is! It is very cool that by doing so little you can potentially save your own life from premature death and you can make your life truly enjoyable. Here is Dr.Mike explaining the principles to us in a fun way!
Norwegian readers! Here are the easy-to-read facts and recommendations for physical activity, and tips for how to do it.
You can make sure to get 30 minutes of moderate activity every day or you can do 75 minutes of vigorous physical activity per week. This minutes do not have to be done in one bulk, you can split them up to make it fit you schedule.
There are so many ways to go about this and do the bare minimum. This list of tips and pointers is far from complete:
- Transport training: Running, fast walking or cycling to school/work
- Take the stairs! Allways
- 10 minutes of chosen activity on moderate intensity x 3 at some point during the day: Run og walk the stairs in your office building, walk fast back from the grocery store, find a 10 minute workout YouTube-video.
- Gardening: Can be heavy work and require muscle strength.
- Join 1 vigorous fitness class at your gym per week and do 1 15-30 minute moderate to vigorous intensity workout on your own.
- Join 2 vigorous fitness class at your gym per week and you can check the whole thing off, and classes are such fun.
- Not one for classes? Invest in a personal trainer.
- No time or energy during the week for vigorous training? Save it for the weekend!
- Get a training/activity partner in order to make yourself accountable to someone if discipline is not your strong suit. Being in it together always helps.
- Plan for success: SCHEDULE at least a couple of activities in your calendar. That appointment is just as important as your business meeting.
- Ask for corporate health and exercise possibilities/benefits at your place of business. A lot of companies have a budget for corporate health measures and it is more important that physical activity is a part of this, rather than massages.
Start to day and it does not matter that much what you do as long as you increase you heart rate and use your muscles doing it!